Back to Table of Contents


Section 9 Traveling West to Utah

George Grant had always been my friend until Johnson came there after which he appeard distant and cold, but in all my trials Soloman stood by me to the last and always took my part which was right and honorable

A few days before we got ready to start about the time the camp at Summer Quarters moved in, the oxen ware drove in from the farm my cattle was thin and I was affraid they would not stand the journey, but I said nothing about it for fear that they would think that I was finding fault the 1st camp was 5 miles out whare we camped a week or 10 days waiting for Brigham and the rest when he came we all started out for the Elk horn we built a raft and crosst the river on it with our waggons this river was about 10 or 12 rods wide and 10 or 12 feet deep we camped on the west side of the river till sometime in June when we took up our line of march after organizing ourselves into companies of 10s 50s and 100s each company with their respective captains  Alen Tailer was captain of our hundred and John Harvey of our 50 and Alva Hanks of our 10 which was 1st hundred 1st 50 and 2d 10

We traveled on guarding ourselves nights by taking our turns  My turn came once in 5 or 6 days  the fateagues of the journey was vary great, watching our cattle against the Indians and while thare we heard that William Weeks had gone back to the states from the valey he was the Architect of the Nauvoo temple he also worked with me on the mill under T. Kesler they had the spirit of apostacy in them while there they szaidk much against the authorities of the Church in my presance and it troubled me and I had a ream  I thought that a number of us ware standing on a piece of ice about four rods square which was hard and sound and all around it the ice appeared thin and rotten, on the south and East we could see no land but on the North and west we could I did not mingle with them in conversation but I saw that I had on a beautiful pair of scates and I looked all around to if anyone else had any but found none, and stoping short began to look at them and I saw them going off to the south and south East and after they got off about 4 or 5 rods they would fall through the ice and that was the last of them  I saw till all had gone but myself and Weeks and Fredrick Kesler and they two stood yet talking, finely, sais Kesler, come boys let us go whareupon he started.  Weeks hesitated a little and turning to me sais come brother Cook lets go.  No said I.  I cant go that way.  then he started on and left me alone  I stood still and watched them and saw them both go through the ice one after the other  I then began to think how I should get tot he land in safety.  finely I concluded tot take a circle around to get under headway and then strike off onto the rotten ice in a west direction toward the shore which I did and as I struck the rotten ice I could feel it crack and give under my feet which mad my hair rise, but as I turned my face to the west I came to another hard piece of ice like the one I had left and it became wider and wider till it came to land, and I went so fast without any exertion that it nearly took my breath till I landed at the top of the mountain and awoke  This made me think that sooner or later they would apostatis and I must not felowship the spirit they had. About 3 or 4 days drive from fort Laramie one of my oxen was taken sick at night and died before morning, this was an ox that Brigham had let me have in place of the one that George had sent to the mountains the year before, this caused me much trouble but they let me have another to fill the place of it The next day I found my leaders ware feeling as I had before thought they would do the next day in the morning one of them had hard work to get up alone I went to Brigham and asked him what I should do he told me to leave him and if he got better some of the brethren would drive him along and if he died it would be all right, and I could have another yoke in their place this was hard for me to do for he was a favorite ox but Brigham had told me to and it was law. When we started out he got up and followd on he kept up to the company with a little urging by the brethren till within two miles of the camping place for noon he then turned out of the road and laid down tired out.

Charles Keneda was in the company next behind and he came along in about half an hour after our company and saw him and knew him. he started him up drove him on and overtook us at camp at the crossing of Laramie river, he came up to my waggon and said, Cook, I have picked up your ox and if you will give him to me I will take him through I told him what the president h ad told me in the morning and if he was a mind to give him to him I had nothing to say, but for my part I should not give him away for I did not consider it would be right to give him away. He then went to the president and told him I had given him the ox He told him he could cure him and he would take him along if he said so. he then said that he might take him He then came back to me and asked me again to give him the ox he said the president had given him his claim on him and told him to take him along, well sais I if he has given him to you I have nothing to say. A few days after while camped at horse shoe creek the ox came along and I was with Brigham and as he passt by I said to Brigham is betting better. Yes, sais he, Charles sais you gave him to him. no sais I, I did not, but he told me that you did. he then said I must get you and Charley together, sais I that would just suit me, but it was never done, and Kenada kept the ox, and sold him in the valey, saying to others that if I would not say any more about the ox, he would give me the 12 dollars I owed him for wintering my oxen in winter quarters

I told him after we arrived in the valey that I wanted my rifle and I asked him to bring it home, he said he would do so the next day, the next and the next week passt away but I saw him not nor the rifle, one day as I was passing by his waggon, I calld and he was away. I told her I wanted my gun she handed it to me out of the waggon, I took it and went away, but when he came home and found I had got it he said he wished he had took it with him and then he should got pay for taking care of the cattle, which he knew was unjust, after lieing to me, to ; and to Brigham, and taking my ox wrongfuly and then not satisfied I thought he was an oppressor,

We crosst the Platt about 1/2 a days below fort Larimee that day Ann Eliza turned over her teapot and scalded her foot which was vary sore till Mother Angel gave her some camphor, which soon healed it and stopt the pain immediately this is an exelent remedy for a burn if it is not so raw that a person cannot bear it. When I was in winter quarters Brother Brigham had an orphan boy by the name of William Dunkin his father and mother had died about a year or 15 months before he was about 7 years old his father gave him to Brigham in his will before he died Brigham wanted me to take him and when he was old enough he wanted me to teach him the carpenters trade which I promised to do he came and lived us for 7 years which brought him to 14 years. I then began to try to bend him mind to the trade but this was of no use he did not like it and from that time he sought an excuse all he seemed to think or care about was a horse or something of the kind, he was a dull scholar as to learning for I sent him to school enough that he might have had a desent education if he had improved his time, he was an enemy to hard work but he was as smart both mintaly and piscaly as common boys but he was not to be trusted, he at last got mad for a trifling thing and that was I would not consent to his bringing home pupies to rais. so one night he went out and did not return. I had the trouble of boarding him and sending him to school till he was large enough to think he could take care of himself then he was off, which is generaly the case with the most of such boys in these days

When we got to the head of Sweet Water or near it in the neighborhood of independance rock we came to lakes of saltwater whare we gathered large quantities of it, formed in a crust from one to 6 inches thick, when we got to the last crossing of the sweet water we camped about two weeks waiting for help from the valey While we ware camped in that place many of our cattle died I lost one out of my team and another was sick. I boared their horns and took a syrring and forced red pepper tea into them but one was so stuborn I could not hold him to do it neither could I do anything for him, Brother Brigham told me that if I did not do something for him he would die, I told him I had tried my best to doctor him but I had not been able to do but little for him, but I would try to again I got two or three of the brethren to help me to put some tobacco down him roaled up in meal balls, but he acted so bad that we ware obliged to give it up in the morning he was dead they all said I had done my duty in trying to cure him he was one that Brother Brigham had furnished me which made me more anxious to save him. the other one that was sick was one that I had of S. C. Hall in Michigan this left me with ownly one well ox Kenada had one and one was in the valey, one sick which left me at the mercy of the brethren, but the Lord had made a way for my passage. A man by the name of Orin Porter Rockwell a stranger to me but well known in the church as an old friend of Josephs, he told me that he had 4 mules to hitch to some ones waggon and take it to the valey with a man to drive it. I went and asked my captain Alva Hanks to let him hitch to my waggon which he did and took it through to the valey I drove a team with lugage for Brother Brigham to green river after which I drove sister Augusta Cobbs waggon (a woman belonging to Joseph Smith) the rest of the way to the valey

Ann Eliza had a hard time with her little ones, the mules ware quite fractious in bad places but the waggon was good and lightly loaded ownly about 14 or 15 hundred besides the family

I tied a circular saw to the reach of my waggon under the box hopeing to have it when I got to the valey Brother Brigham told me that I might have anything that I could find among the old irons which had belonged to the church in Nauvoo, but I did not find much but that which I thought was worth taking, it had an iron shaft in it, but when I came in to the valey to my surprise one day Brother Kimble (Heber C. ) came to me and said he wanted his saw that I took from him at winter quarters, I told him that I brought a saw, but I did not suppose it was his for I was told that whatever I could bring that was among the old irons I was welcome to, as my own, he said he did not give me that promice and he must have it I then told him to take it, but he did not take it at that time but about as often as I met him he spoke about it, but when I was sent to SanPete I left it in care of Brother Brigham at the house near his Uper Mill on big Kenyon creek whare I lived telling him whare it was and how I came by it

Journal Sections
  1. Brief history of Phineas' ancestry
  2. Childhood to 1838
  3. 1839 - Spring of 1843
  4. 1843 - 1845
  5. Conversion to the Mormon Church
  6. Leaving the family to join with the Mormons in the west 1845-46
  7. To Mechanicsville, Winter Quarters
  8. Winter Quarters 2
  9. Traveling West to Utah
  1. Settling in the Valley
  2. Run in with Indians
  3. 1851 - 1853
  4. 1854-1855
  5. Events of 1855
  6. September 1855- March 1856
  7. May - July 1856
  8. August - December 1856
  9. 1857 - Journal Conclusion